What’s in your Mirror?
It’s the end of the year, and I’ll bet you’re amazed at how quickly 2022 has gone by — a year that’s been crazy busy, full of change, and seemingly unplannable.
I’ve always found it so important to reflect on the triumphs and tribulations of any given year before beginning a new one. Celebrating accomplishments and learning from challenges sets the foundation for your year ahead.
If you’re not sure quite how to execute reviewing your year, here’s a few places you can start:
1. Go old school and break out some colored pens and paper. Or, if you’re feeling rather reflective, grab some easel paper and markers and draw a line vertically down the center. (For extra fun – get the scented markers!) On one side, write down any accomplishments, exciting moments, or activities you’d love to replicate in the future. On the other side, list out challenges, “failures”, and any static or friction you or your team faced this year. Once your list is complete, sit with the results and consider the ways in which you can replicate any of the positive results, and more importantly, what you can learn from the challenges.
2. Here’s an exercise that will get you thinking differently about reviewing your year. Grab your mobile, journal, or tablet and answer any, all, or some of the following questions. While writing, if something else comes to mind, reflect on that too.
- At which moments did I practice my values?
- What came easy or fun to me this year?
- What were some of the unexpected moments of joy?
- In what ways did I surprise myself?
- What did I do that I’m really proud of?
- How has my vision evolved from the beginning of the year?
3. Do you have a personal highlight reel? Dan Cable, author of the book Exceptional, explains in this article how to ask for feedback from the people in our lives while also taking a moment to share our gratitude with them. This is a wonderful practice to pursue once a year…or more!
Enjoy the holiday season and I look forward to seeing you in 2023!
PS – Join my newsletter and be the first to see my leadership book reveal in January 2023 – I can’t wait to share it with you!
Image credit Jackijuk on Shutterstock
Share with others